Wednesday, November 27, 2013

In the Kitchen

I <3 to cook and bake, try new recipes and create my own concoctions! Sometimes they are good and other times they are.... well...."tasty". This is a very neutral term you see....everything has flavor right? ....whether or not it is a good flavor or bad :P In our family "tasty" is a more gentle way to say "you don't need to make THAT again" :P I am in no way going to tern this blog into one of those cooking blogs. I have far to many other things that I would rather spend my time doing. But, just for sheer fun every now and then I may post a recipe :)

This morning I was about to start breakfast and Luke piped in that he had a hankerin' for some fried apples. Hmmm...fried apples and apple/pecan pancakes...that sounds good! Luke joined me in the kitchen this morning and fried up some amazin' apples!


I very highly dislike that recipes are always written out with the list of ingredient and then at the bottom are the instructions. You have to scan back and forth, back and forth from top to bottom. It's quite tedious. I kind of understand that you want to be able to see at a glance all the ingredients required but I personally would prefer to have the process alongside the ingredients! So since this is my blog, I can do it how I like right! :D


APPLE PECAN PANCAKES
Mix together: 
1 Egg
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
1 Cup Milk
1 T Baking Powder
1 t Baking Soda
1 T Sugar or Honey
Dash Salt
2 t Cinnamon
Shot of Vanilla Extract  
Chop 3/4 Cup of Pecans to desired fineness and add to mixture 
Heat CAST IRON griddle till a drop of water sizzles when splashed on the service.
Grease griddle with some kind of fat product. I like to use bacon grease!
Apply 1/3 cup of batter to griddle and cook till bubbles on the service of the pancake begin to pop.
Cook on opposite side till the edges are no longer gooey. 


FRIED APPLES 
Luke did this process for me! He is such a cool brother! :) 
Slice apples 
Heat a skillet and apply a hardy layer of butter.
Arrange Apples in the skillet.
Apply a good coating of Cinnamon Sugar, flip and repeat.
Allow apples to fry till beginning to caramelize, flip and repeat. 
Make sure that you don't get the skillet so hot that the sugar burns! :/


Scoop apples into a bowl including the syrup that has formed in the skillet!
Server over pancakes! 
ENJOY! 


Seriously....you don't even need maple syrup on these! :)



1 comment: